A perfect summer fruit dessert of fresh blueberries encased in a sweet almond filling on a buttery shortcrust pastry, serve warm with cream
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 30 mins
Total time: 2 hrs
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 250g (8oz) ready-made sweet shortcrust pastry (from a 375g pack)
For the filling:
- 100g (3½oz) butter, softened
- 100g (3½oz) caster sugar
- 100g (3½oz) ground almonds
- 60g (2oz) plain flour
- 3 medium eggs
- 300g (10oz) fresh blueberries
- 2 tbsps redcurrant jelly
- 2 tbsps brandy, optional
20cm (8in) loose-based sandwich tin
- Roll out the pastry fairly thinly to line the base and sides of the tin. Chill the pastry case while you make the filling.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 4 or 180°C. Put a baking sheet in to heat up.
- To make the filling: Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl, then beat in the almonds, flour, eggs and 2 tbsps warm water. Spoon into the pastry case, smooth top then put blueberries on, pressing them down a little.
- Put on the hot baking sheet and bake for 1 hour near the bottom of the oven, then half an hour, above the centre.
- Cool for 10 mins, then take out of the tin. Heat the jelly and brandy (or water) and brush over the tart to glaze.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.