The national dish of South Africa – bobotie is a delicious curried mince topped with an egg custard (not dissimilar to moussaka). Perfect for an easy World Cup tea!
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr
Total time: 1 hr 5 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 1 medium slice white bread, crust removed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 level tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 500g (1lb) minced lamb
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
For the bobotie topping:
- 1 medium egg
- 2 level tablespoons plain flour
- 150ml (¼ pint) milk
- Set the oven to 200°C or Gas Mark 6.
- Place the bread in a bowl, pour 100ml (3½fl oz) water over it and leave it to soak while cooking the onion and mince.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion. Cook the onion over a medium heat for about 5-7 minutes, stirring it occasionally until it starts to soften. Stir in the curry powder, sugar and lemon juice and cook for a further minute, stirring well to mix them together.
- Add the minced lamb to the pan and cook until the meat turns brown. Add the bread to the pan, and any remaining liquid from the bowl. Stir well to break up the bread and mix it into the mince. Remove the pan from the heat and turn the meat out into an ovenproof dish, pressing it down well to level the surface. Place the bay leaves on top.
- To make the bobotie topping: Break the egg into a bowl and gradually whisk in the flour, then whisk in the milk and season well with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the mince.
- Place the dish in the centre of the oven and bake for about 40-50 minutes, or until the topping is a light golden colour.
- Remove from the oven and serve your bobotie immediately with salad or steamed vegetable
Not suitable for freezing.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.