Give your red cabbage a burst of flavour by braising with apples, chilli, onions, herbs and spices – it’s certainly one way to warm up your winter veg!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 45 mins
Total time: 2 hrs
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Good-sized knob of butter
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 1⁄2 a red cabbage, about 350g shredded
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 a red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 1 large or 2 small dessert apples (we used Pink Lady)
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 200ml red wine
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Set the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3. Heat the oil and butter in a large ovenproof pan. Add the onion and cook gently for 10 mins.
- Stir in the cabbage, garlic, chilli, rosemary, coarsely grated apple, sugar, vinegar and wine. Season well.
- Cover with Bakewell paper, then a lid and bake for 11⁄2 – 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Check the seasoning before serving with roast meat or spicy sausages and mash. For a glossier finish to the dish, drizzle the cabbage with more olive oil and stir in lightly.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.