Sweeten up braised red cabbage with cider and delicious British apples. This is a tempting side dish for your roast with a interesting twist
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 43 mins
Total time: 53 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 2tsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 500g (1lb) red cabbage, shredded
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- ½tsp ground mixed spice
- 2tbsp light soft brown sugar
- 300ml (½ pint) dry cider
- 2 cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion gently for about 3 mins to soften.
- Add the red cabbage, orange zest and juice, ground mixed spice, brown sugar and cider to the pan. Cover and cook very gently for 20 mins, stirring twice.
- Stir in the chopped apples, add 3tbsp water and cook for another 20 mins, until the cabbage and apples are tender. Season well before serving.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.