A tasty bread sauce to accompany your roast turkey, chicken or phesant. This is very easy and quick to rustle up. This recipe serves 6-8 portions of meat.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 600ml (1 pint) milk
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4-6 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 175g (6oz) white breadcrumbs
- Large knob of butter
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Pour milk into a pan and add the onion, cloves and bay leaves. Bring to the boil and leave the milk to infuse flavours.
- Strain the milk into a clean pan. Add the breadcrumbs, place pan over a med heat and cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally. When it’s ready, the sauce will have thickened to a spooning consistency. Just before serving, stir in the butter and season to taste. Serve with a bay leaf on top.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.