These traditional fruity buns are a tea time favourite and they’re quick too, using simple store cupboard ingredients.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 200g (7oz) self-raising flour
- 50g (1½ oz) ground almonds
- Pinch of salt
- 90g (3oz) butter
- 90g (3oz) caster sugar
- 90g (3oz) currants, or dried mixed fruit
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Set the oven to 190°C (gas mark 5). Sift the flour, ground almonds and salt into a bowl, and rub in the butter. Stir in the sugar, dried fruit and egg, using a round-bladed knife to combine the mixture to a stiff dough.
- Divide dough into 12 rough shapes and place them on the baking sheet. Roughen the surface with a fork.
- Bake the cakes in the middle of the oven for 15 mins until light golden. Sprinkle with a little extra caster sugar. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. They can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2-3 days.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.