Here’s a tasty breakfast or dessert idea to use up autumn fruits like apples and pears. Turn them into a spiced compote and have them in buckwheat pancakes
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 1 hr
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 8 buckwheat pancakes made in a 20-23cm (8-9in) pan
For the lemon mascarpone:
- Zest of 1 lemon (use the juice for the filling, below)
- 250g carton mascarpone
For the filling:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 dessert apples
- 2-3 pears
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 60g (2oz) sultanas
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 2tbsp Calvados or brandy
- To make the lemon mascarpone: Stir the lemon zest into the mascarpone and set aside.
- To make the pancake filling: Put the lemon juice in a large bowl, then peel, quarter, core and thickly slice the apples and pears into the bowl and use your hand to coat the fruit in juice.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and stir in the apples, pears and sultanas with the lemon juice. Fry for 3 mins, stirring, until the fruit begins to soften. Reduce the heat, mix in the sugar and the Calvados, or brandy, and cook for 6-7 mins until the fruit is softened.
- Fold each warm pancake in half, then in half again and spoon some apple and pear mixture inside each pancake ‘cone’.
- Serve straight away or put in a buttered ovenproof dish, dot with a little butter and bake at 180°C or gas mark 4 for about 15 mins. Serve with the lemon mascarpone.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.