This super-moist carrot cake is smothered with delicious cream cheese. Use sunflower oil instead of butter in this carrot cake recipe. You can also follow our easy step-by-step video to see how to make carrot cake
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr
Total time: 1 hr 10 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
For the carrot cake:
- 175g (6oz) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 2 level tsp ground mixed spice
- Pinch of salt
- 150ml (¼ pint) sunflower oil
- 175g (6oz) soft light brown sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 100g (3½ oz) raisins
- 250g (8oz) carrots, peeled and grated
For the carrot cake topping:
- 200g (7oz) cream cheese
- Few drops vanilla extract
- 3-4 level tbsp icing sugar
- Orange and green food colouring
- To make the carrot cake: Tip the flour into a bowl and stir in the baking powder, spice and salt. Then stir in all the remaining ingredients until well mixed. Pour the mixture into a 1kg (2lb) loaf tin, buttered and lined with a strip of baking parchment.
- Bake in centre of oven at 180°C, 350°F or gas mark 4 for about 1 hr, until just firm to the touch in the centre. A skewer should come out clean after being inserted into the middle.
- Remove from the oven. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out on to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the carrot cake topping: Beat together the cream cheese and vanilla extract. Add icing sugar to taste.
- Colour a small amount of icing orange and a small amount green, and use to fill a disposable piping bag each. Spread the remaining uncoloured icing over the top of the cake.
- Cut the end off the bag with the orange icing to give a small hole, and pipe tapered zigzags, to resemble carrots. Cut the end off the green icing bag into a ‘V’ shape and pipe leaves.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.