An unusual twist on the usual cheese straws, these have the delicious addition of tangy pickle. Perfect for a picnic or party nibbles, along with our herby dip
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 375g pack ready-rolled puff pastry sheet (we used Jus-Rol)
- 4tbsp Branston Beetroot Pickle, finely chopped, or Tesco Caramelised Red Onion Relish
- 125g (4oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 medium egg, beaten (only half will be needed)
- 1tbsp sesame seeds
For the dip:
- 1 small red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- About 20g (¾oz) flat-leaf parsley leaves and stalks, roughly chopped
- 1-2tsp small capers
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 baking trays, lined with Teflon
- Set the oven to gas mark 7 or 220°C. Roll the pastry out to a 40cm square. Spread the pickle or chutney over half the square, leaving a narrow border, and then sprinkle the cheese over. Fold the other half of the pastry over it and press down gently to seal.
- Brush pastry all over with beaten egg, then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cut the pastry into 1.5cm wide strips (they will be about 20cm long) and twist them before placing on the lined baking sheets. Bake for 12-15 mins until golden and crispy. Put on a wire rack to cool.
- To make the dip: Put all the ingredients into a jug and whizz with a stick blender.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.