Smoked streaky bacon, spring onions and mature Cheddar cheese give these scones plenty of flavour. Serve with a little chutney and cheese for a delicious snack
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 500g self-raising flour
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 125g butter
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon, cooked and chopped
- 8 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 level tsp chilli powder
- 200g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 medium eggs
- Approx. 200ml milk
- Beaten egg, to glaze
- Chutney and slices of Cheddar cheese, to serve
You will also need:
- 5cm plain round cutter
- Set the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Add the butter and rub it in until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the bacon, spring onion, chilli powder and 150g cheese.
- Lightly beat the eggs with enough milk to make them up to 300ml (½ pint). Pour this mixture into the rubbed-in mixture and use a round-bladed knife to bind together to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and knead it very lightly to form a ball. Roll it out to about 2.5cm (1in) thick. Use the cutter to cut out rounds, and place them fairly close together on a baking sheet. Brush glaze over the scones and then sprinkle over the reserved cheese.
- Bake the scones in the centre of the oven for 12-15 mins, until they have risen and are a golden colour.
- Remove from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack. They may be served warm or cold, split in half and spread with a little chutney and topped with a slice of cheese.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.