This supper dish taken from our December 1944 issue is quick to make and tasty too
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 4 medium or large eggs
- 4 tbsp milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Grated nutmeg
- 60g (2oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- A little butter, optional
- Paprika, optional
- 3-4 gratin or large ramekin dishes, buttered, on a baking tray
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 3 or 160°C. Beat the eggs, whisk in the milk, seasoning and nutmeg, to taste.
- Divide half the cheese between the dishes, then pour in egg mixture and sprinkle with rest of cheese. Dot with butter, if you like. Bake for about 25 mins until set, being careful not to let them boil. They will rise up quite high, then fall a little when you take them out of oven.
- Dust with paprika, if you want. “Serve hot with a green vegetable, or when seasonable, serve cold with watercress or green salad,” says Cécile.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.