This hearty bake of cheesy potato is delicious for the family. It is very easy to make and very economical at only 66p per portion.
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hr 10 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
900g (2lb) potatoes, unpeeled, thinly sliced
300g pack ready-shredded curly kale
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Pinch of dried chilli flakes
For the sauce:
- 50g (nearly 2oz) butter
- 50g (nearly 2oz) plain flour
- 300ml (½ pint) milk
- 90g (3oz) mature Cheddar
- 15g (½oz) Grana Padano cheese, freshly grated
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1.5 litre (2½ pint) ovenproof dish
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 7 or 220°C. Add the potatoes to a pan of boiling salted water and simmer for 5 mins. Drain andset aside potatoes, reserving the cooking water. Bring this back to the boil, add the kale. simmer for 2 mins. Drain, reserving the cooking water again, and run cold water through the kale, to keep it green.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan over a moderate heat. Add the onion and cook until softened. Stir in the garlic and chilli and fry for another couple of mins.
- Put half the potatoes in the dish. Spoon the kale and onion over them, then spread the rest of the potato slices on top. Put the dish on a baking tray.
- To make the sauce: Melt the butter in a pan over a low heat, add the flour and stir to make a paste, cooking it for 3 mins. Gradually whisk in the milk and 200ml (7fl oz) of the reserved cooking water to make a smooth sauce. Bring to the boil, add two thirds of the cheese and season. Pour the sauce over the potatoes. Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese and bake for about 25 mins.
Nutritional information per portion