The warming flavours of cinnamon complement the rich cherry filling in this delicious pie. Cut a little whole in the middle of your topping to give people a sneak peek
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 375g packet all-butter puff pastry
- Beaten egg, to glaze
- 1-2 tablespoons granulated sugar
For the filling:
- 600-750g (1¼lb-1½lb) cherries, stoned and halved
- 4 level tbsp caster sugar
- 1 level tbsp cornflour
- 1 level tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2tbsp lemon juice
You will also need:
- 24cm (9½in) enamel pie plate
- 5-7cm (2-2¾in) flower cutter
- Set the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7 and put a baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Roll out half the pastry on a lightly floured surface and line the pie plate.
- To make the filling: Tip the cherries into a bowl and stir in the sugar, cornflour and cinnamon.
- Brush water around the edge of the pastry and spoon the cherries into the centre, spreading them out evenly and leaving about a 2-3cm (¾-1¼in) clear rim of pastry around the base. Sprinkle over the lemon juice.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and use the tip of a knife to score a criss-cross pattern over the surface, taking care not to cut all the way through. Use the cutter to cut a hole in the centre, then lift the pastry, supporting it so it keeps its shape, and lay it over the cherry filling. Press down the edges to seal; trim off any excess. Cut around the pastry edge at regular intervals with a small, sharp knife to make a pattern.
- Brush the top of the pastry with the beaten egg and sprinkle over the granulated sugar.
- Place the pie on the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 15 mins, then reduce the temperature to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and cook for a further 25-30 mins, or until the pastry is evenly golden. Serve hot.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.