This tasty salad is quick and easy to make. The streaky bacon gives the dish an extra burst of flavour
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 400g (14oz) fresh chicken livers
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 thick slices white bread
- 3 tbsp clarified butter
- 4-6 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- 4 good handfuls of salad leaves
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 tbsp walnut oil
- Remove sinews from the livers and, if large, cut livers into bite-sized pieces. Season well.
- Cut the crusts off the bread and cut the bread into 1cm (½in) cubes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the bread, stir well to coat in butter and fry for a few mins until crisp and golden. Drain them on kitchen paper and keep them warm in the oven.
- Add the chopped bacon to the hot pan and fry until crispy. Put on the baking tray with the fried bread. Heat the rest of the butter in the pan with any fat from the bacon, add the chicken livers in one layer and fry for a couple of mins each side. Take the frying pan off the heat.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl or jug and season. Put a handful of leaves on each plate, then divide the chicken livers, bacon and croutons between the plates. Drizzle with the dressing and serve warm.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.