Want to make your very own pie? Try this easy-to-make chicken pie by adding the chicken mixture to an enamel pie plate and covering with ready-made shortcrust pastry
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hr
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400g (14oz) fresh chicken breast chunks, in 1cm (½in) pieces
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 150ml (5fl oz) crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp thickening granules
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 125g (4oz) frozen peas
- 2 tsp tarragon leaves, optional
- 2 x 230g shortcrust pastry sheets
- 20cm (8in) enamel pie plate
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken chunks for about 5 mins, turning them occasionally, until browned. Season well and leave to cool for 10 mins.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Put a baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Mix the crème fraîche, thickening granules, spring onion, peas and tarragon in a large bowl. Now stir in the cooled chicken.
- Use one of the pastry sheets to line the pie plate. Spoon in the chicken mixture; pile it high in the middle, leaving a wide border around the edge. Brush the pastry edge with water.
- Put the other pastry sheet on top and seal them together well. Trim off excess pastry and crimp the edges. Make leaf shapes from the trimmings and stick them on the top with a little water. Bake for 35-40 mins, until the pastry is a pale golden colour. This pie is great eaten warm or cold.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.