Roast chicken legs with tasty walnut and parsley pesto makes a delicious meal for the whole family
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 14 chicken legs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Bag of salad leaves
- 4 slices of crusty bread
For the pesto:
- 60g (2oz) walnut pieces
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 spring onion, trimmed
- and roughly chopped
- 60g (2oz) roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C.
- Heat a griddle pan. Brush the chicken legs with 1 tablespoon oil. Press them, skin-side down, on to the hot griddle and cook for 5 minutes until marked. Remove from the griddle and put in a roasting tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked through.
- To make the pesto: Heat a small pan, add the walnuts and cook over a medium heat until they’re lightly toasted. Cool in a bowl, then put into a small food processor with the garlic and spring onion and whizz for a few seconds. Add the parsley, Dijon mustard and oil with 2 tablespoons water. Whizz again to make a dressing and season. Cover and chill.
- To serve: Line 4 bowls with the salad leaves, add the hot chicken with a piece of bread and drizzle the pesto over the chicken and salad leaves.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.