These Mexican taco shells make great family sharing food – filled with a spicy bean chilli they’re a great vegetarian choice too
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon mild chilli powder, optional
- 410g can black-eyed beans, drained and rinsed
- 410g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 taco shells (1 packet)
- About 6 tablespoons grated Cheddar
- About 6 tablespoons sour cream
- A few coriander leaves
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion and chilli for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and chilli powder, if using, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the beans and tomatoes and simmer for 20 minutes until thickened. Add the ketchup and seasoning.
- Heat the taco shells in the oven for a few minutes, according to pack directions.
- Fill the tacos with the bean mixture and serve with the cheese and sour cream to spoon over, and coriander leaves to sprinkle on top. Serve the lime wedges on the side.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.