You can’t beat a bowl of nourishing soup. This recipe is quick, easy and inexpensive to make
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 2 hrs
Total time: 2 hrs 20 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 250g (8oz) stewing steak, cubed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons mild chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1.25 litres (2 pints) hot beef stock
- 350g (12oz) squash, peeled, deseeded and flesh chopped into 1cm (½in) cubes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 400g can cannellini beans,drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley (optional)
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 4 or 180°C. Heat the oil in a large, flame-proof casserole, add the onion and cook for a few minutes to soften, then add the garlic and stewing steak. Fry for 5 minutes to brown.
- Season and add the chilli powder and cumin. Stir into the meat and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the tomatoes, stock, squash and balsamic vinegar.
- Bring to the boil, cover and cook in the oven for 2 hours, until the meat is really tender.
- Stir in the beans and warm through on the hob. Serve sprinkled with parsley, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.