This quick, easy chicken pasta recipe is a favourite dish for Woman’s Weekly reader, Angela Cliffe from Newcastle-under-Lyme,
Prep time: 6 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Total time: 51 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 2tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra
- 4 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 large red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 crushed clove garlic
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1½ level tsp hot chilli powder
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 400g can of kidney beans, drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 200g (7oz) dried pasta, e.g. conchiglie, penne etc.
- Grated cheese, e.g. Cheddar, mozzarella or Parmesan
- Heat the 2tbsp oil in a large frying pan. Add the chicken breasts and fry until lightly sealed. Add the chopped onion, pepper and garlic to the pan and fry until soft. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chilli powder, tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce and kidney beans to the pan. Season. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer on a low heat for 25-30 mins.
- To cook the pasta: Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add a small drop of olive oil to prevent the pasta sticking, then add the pasta to the pan. Simmer for 10-13 mins, stirring and checking it occasionally.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it well and add to the pan with the chicken. Stir well and serve with cheese over it.
- Serve with grated cheese and warm garlic bread. (Not suitable for freezing).
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.