Make some traditional Chinese dumplings with this easy recipe. Fill Chinese dumpling pancakes with a mixture of pork, soy sauce, spring onions and cabbage for a fresh-tasting filling
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 1tbsp cornflour
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 1tbsp sesame oil
- Salt and white pepper
- 25g pork, finely chopped (see tip, right)
- 2-3 Chinese cabbage leaves, finely chopped
- 2-3 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 16 pancakes, from a 200g pack of Chinese dumpling pastries
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1-2 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- Put the cornflour, soy sauce and sesame oil into a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and white pepper. Stir until just mixed, then stir in the pork, cabbage, spring onions and egg. Mix well.
- Put a heaped tsp of filling on each pancake. Dip your finger into cold water, in a small bowl, and moisten the pancake edge. Fold it over to make a crescent-shaped parcel, press together and make small folds around the edge to seal well.
- Cook the dumplings in 2 batches: arrange them in 1 layer in an oiled steamer, then cover and steam for 20 mins.
- Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds and spring onion. Make a dipping sauce by mixing 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tsp each rice vinegar and sesame oil and a pinch of dried crushed or fresh chopped chilli.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.