A delicious and filling soup made with vegetables and flavoured with bacon rashers
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 55 mins
Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 4 rashers (30g/1oz) pancetta or 2 streaky bacon rashers, chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 600ml (1 pint) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few fresh basil leaves
- About 2 teaspoons freshly grated Parmesan per serving
- Put the pancetta rashers, or chopped bacon, into a pan and cook over a medium heat, turning it occasionally, until it starts to brown and the fat runs. Take it out with a draining spoon and set aside.
- Add onion and carrot to pan and mix. Cook, covered, over a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add a little oil, if necessary.
- Pour in the tomatoes and stock, add the ketchup and season well. Half-cover the pan and simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. With a stick blender, blend some of the soup, so that it’s smooth, but with plenty of chunky bits left. Check consistency, adding hot water to thin, it if you like.
- Stir in shredded basil leaves and crumbled pancetta or bacon bits. Pour into a Thermos to carry with you. Take some Parmesan in a tub to sprinkle on top.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.