Prep time: 10-15 mins
Cooking time: 7 mins
For the cinnamon ring doughnuts:
- 500g (1lb) self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 90g (3oz) caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 200ml (7fl oz) milk
For the coating:
- 1 level tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g (4oz) caster sugar
- Deep-fat fryer with sunflower oil
- 7cm (2¾in) and 3cm (1¼in) round cutters
- Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer to 170ºC (335F). Meanwhile, sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir in the sugar.
- Beat the eggs and oil into the milk and add to the dry ingredients, mixing with a spoon to bind them together. Work the ingredients together into a smooth ball and then turn out on to a floured work surface.
- Roll the dough out to a thickness of just over 1cm (1/2in). Flour the cutters and use the larger one to cut out rounds of dough, then cut out the centres using the smaller cutter. Re-roll the trimmings to make more doughnuts.
- Put the doughnuts to one side and make the coating. Mix the cinnamon into the sugar in a small bowl.
- Now cook the doughnut rings 2-3 at a time. Place the rings carefully into the hot oil and cook for 3-4 mins, until golden on the bottom, then turn them over and cook for a further 2-3 mins, until they are an even golden colour and cooked through.
- Lift on to kitchen paper to drain briefly and, while they’re still hot, toss them in the cinnamon sugar until evenly coated. Shake off any excess and pPlace on a wire rack to cool. (Not suitable for freezing).
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.