Crisp meringue on a rich lemony filling – no wonder this zesty classic is still a firm family favourite. It almost looks too good to eat!
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Total time: 1 hr 5 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 1⁄2 x 375g packet sweet pastry
For the filling:
- 397g can condensed milk
- 2 medium egg yolks
- Finely zested rind and juice of 2 lemons
For the meringue:
- 2 egg whites
- 125g caster sugar
- 24cm (91⁄2in) round enamel pie plate
- Set the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7 and place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Roll the pastry out and line the pie plate. Prick the base and pinch the edges to pattern them. Chill for 10-15 minutes.
- To make the filling: Mix together the condensed milk, egg yolks, lemon rind and juice. Pour the mixture into the pastry case.
- To make the meringue: Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then gradually whisk in the sugar. Spoon the meringue on top of the pie, either leaving it just in the centre or covering the top of the pie completely.
- Place the pie on the hot baking sheet and turn the oven temperature down to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5 and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the meringue has turned a light golden colour and the pastry is cooked.
- Remove the pie from the oven and serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.