A jammy buttery sponge cake rolled in delicious desiccated coconut. This tea time treat is like a cupcake without the cup and it perfect for kids’ parties
Prep time: 45 mins
Cooking time: 28 mins
Skill level:Bit of effort
- 125g (4oz) butter
- 125g (4oz) caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 125g (4oz) self-raising flour
- 5tbsp red jam
- 60g (2oz) desiccated coconut
- 8 glacé cherries
- 8 dariole moulds, buttered and floured
- Set the oven to gas mark 4 or 180°C.
- Beat the butter until soft, add the sugar, and cream the mixture until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs. Gradually fold in the sifted flour and 1 tbs warm water.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the moulds. Put the moulds on a baking tray and bake in the centre of the oven for 20-22 mins. Cool in the tins for 10 mins, then carefully ease cakes out with a palette knife. Cool on a wire rack.
- Heat the jam and 1-2 tbs water in a small pan. Bring to the boil for 1 min. Put a cake on a fork and brush it all over with the hot jam, then roll it in the coconut on a plate. Decorate with a cherry. Repeat with remaining cakes.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.