A dollop of cream can transform everyday ingredients into something heavenly. Try this banoffee pie with a twist
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- FOR THE COFFEE SPONGE:
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 60g (2oz) golden caster sugar
- 2 tbsp instant coffee granules, dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water
- 1 medium egg
- 60g (2oz) self-raising flour
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 tbsp coffee liqueur (such as Kalhua or Tia Maria)
- 397g canned caramel (we used Nestlé)
- 2 bananas, sliced
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 300ml (½ pint) double cream
- 200g (7oz) mascarpone
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or bean paste
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 60g (2oz) milk chocolate, broken into squares
- 20cm (8in) metal flan ring on a lined baking tray
- Heat the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Put the butter, sugar, dissolved coffee, egg and self-raising flour into a food processor. Whizz to blend. Spoon the mixture into the prepared flan ring. Bake for 15 mins until pale golden and springy. Cool in the ring.
- Place the cooled sponge, still in the metal ring, on a serving plate. Run a knife around the edge of the sponge to loosen it, but keep the ring in place.
- To make the filling: Spoon the coffee liqueur over the sponge, then spread the caramel over. Toss bananas in the lemon juice and arrange on caramel.
- To make the topping: Softly whip the cream, stir in the mascarpone, vanilla and sugar and spoon over the bananas.
- Melt the chocolate for 30 seconds in the microwave, on High. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the cream. Chill for about 1 hour before lifting off the metal ring to serve.