A simple everyday dish for the whole family. Grated gourgette fritters are lightly fried and served with cooked halved tomatoes and fried eggs. A great dish to get the kids eating vegetables.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 125g (4oz) self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 150ml (¼ pint) milk
- ½-1 large green chilli, deseeded and chopped, optional
- 1 courgette, (about 200g/7oz) coarsely grated
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 2 tbps freshly chopped basil or mint
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tbps olive oil
- Fried eggs and tomatoes, to serve
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, beaten egg and milk until smooth. Stir in the chilli, if using, courgette, spring onions, herbs and seasoning.
- Heat 1 tbs of the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add remaining oil and tbps of batter, 3 or 4 at a time, to make the fritters. Cook them for about 2 mins over a medium heat, until puffed up and set on the bottom, then flip them over and cook for another min.
- Serve with a fried egg and halved cooked tomatoes.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.