Use leftover Christmas turkey to make this delicious, warming creamed turkey and mushroom soup. After all the cooking on Christmas day this soup is so simple to make and it makes a perfect light lunch or dinner on Boxing Day.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs:Cheap as chips
- Turkey carcass
- 300ml (½ pint) left-over gravy
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh mixed herbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250g (8oz) mushrooms, sliced
- 300ml (½ pint) milk
- Put the turkey carcass, with any remaining turkey meat on it, into a large pan. Add the gravy, onion and herbs and pour in 1 litre (1¾ pints) water. Season well.
- Put the lid on the pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 mins. Lift out the turkey carcass, pulling off any turkey meat left on there, if you like.
- Add the mushrooms and simmer for 15 mins. Use a stick blender to half-blend the soup in the pan, or blend about half the soup in a food processor and then pour it back into the pan. Stir in the milk and warm through to serve. Add slivers of cooked turkey, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.