We love this rich garlicky way of serving mushrooms, first featured in Woman’s Weekly in 1981. Perfect as a side or as party nibbles
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 37 mins
Total time: 1 hr 7 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 60g butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 250g mushrooms, wiped and sliced
- 1 medium egg
- 150ml double cream
- Grated rind of 1 lemon and 1 tablespoon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Good pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Parsley, to garnish
- Salad, to serve
For the topping:
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 slices white bread
- 2 individual gratin dishes, buttered
- Set the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Melt half the butter in a frying pan and fry the onion gently for 2 mins. Add the mushrooms and cook for 30 seconds. Take off the heat and cool for 5 mins.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl or jug and add the cream, lemon rind and juice, seasoning and nutmeg. Tip in the mushroom mixture and then divide between the two dishes.
- To make the topping: Cream the rest of the butter with the garlic and then spread this over the slices of bread. Take off the crusts and cut each slice into 9 squares. Arrange them, overlapping on top of the mushrooms. Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 mins or put them under the grill to brown the bread. Garnish with parsley. Serve with salad.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.