Mackerel is not only delicious, it’s cheap too! For an easy way to serve it, simply coat with oats for a little added crunch. Delicious with a simple salad or your favourite sides
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 50g jumbo porridge oats
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 4 mackerel fillets
- 1 med egg, beaten
- 30g butter
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Tip the oats on to a plate and season them with salt and pepper, then stir in the chopped parsley.
- Dip each fish fillet into the beaten egg and then coat with the porridge oats.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan and when hot, add the mackerel to the pan, cooking for 2-3 mins on each side, or until crisp all over.
- Remove the mackerel fillets from the pan and drain them on absorbent kitchen paper. Serve immediately with lemon wedges to squeeze the juice over the fish.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.