Enjoy the aroma and taste of freshly home-baked Italian focaccia bread filled with delicious mozzarella and gorgonzola cheese and fresh herbs
Prep time: 1 hr 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 2 hrs
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs:Cheap as chips
For the bread:
- 500g (1lb) strong plain flour
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 1 level tsp salt
- 1 level tsp caster sugar
- 4 tbs olive oil
For the filling:
- 250g pack mozzarella
- 200g (7oz) Gorgonzola, crumbled
- A few fresh basil leaves
For the topping:
- 2-3 tbs olive oil
- A few sprigs of rosemary
- 1 tsp coarse salt
You’ll also need:
- Large baking sheet, buttered
- To make the bread:Tip the flour into a bowl and stir in the yeast, salt and sugar. Pour 300ml (½ pint) lukewarm water into the flour and mix it well until the ingredients bind together to form a dough. Knead it, either in a food mixer with a dough hook or on a lightly floured surface, for about 5-10 mins until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough in half and roll or stretch each piece out to about a 25cm (10in) round, or the largest size that will fit on the baking sheet.
- Place 1 round on the baking sheet, and brush water around the edge with a pastry brush. Arrange the slices of mozzarella on top, almost out to the edge and then scatter the Gorgonzola and basil leaves over, tearing them if the leaves are very large. Place the other round of dough on top and press down well around the edges to seal.
- Cover the dough with oiled cling film or a clean tea towel. Leave it in a warm place for about 45-60 mins, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Set the oven to gas mark 6 or 200°C.
- Uncover the dough and use your fingertips to make lots of dimples all over the surface. Brush about 1tbsp olive oil over and press in a few sprigs of rosemary. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake the loaf towards the top of the oven for about 20-30 mins, or until it is an even, golden colour.
- Remove loaf from the oven and slide it on to a wire rack. Drizzle with the remaining oil. Best served warm from the oven.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.