A deliciously moist fruit cake as the dried fruit is soaked in Earl Grey Tea overnight to plump it up
Preparation time: 15 minutes,
plus soaking overnight
Cooking time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
- 6 Earl Grey Tea bags
- 500g packet dried mixed fruit
- 250g light soft brown sugar
- 300g self-raising flour
- 150g butter, melted
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
You will also need:
- 18cm (7in) round cake tin, lined with baking parchment
- Place the teabags in a bowl and pour over 300ml (1/2 pint) boiling water. Leave the tea to infuse for about 5 minutes, then remove the teabags from the water, squeezing them to extract as much of the flavour as possible. Add the dried mixed fruit to the hot tea, cover the bowl loosely and leave the fruit overnight to absorb the flavour of the tea.
- Set the oven to 150°C/Gas Mark 2
- Stir the sugar, flour, butter and egg into the fruit and mixwell. Spoon the mixture into the lined cake tin and level the surface.
- Bake the cake in the centre of the oven for 1 1/2 – 1 3/4 hours, oruntil the cake feels just set in the centre and a skewer comes out clean afterbeing inserted into the cake.
- Place the tin on a wire rack to lift it above the work surface, and leave the cake to cool in the tin.
Nutritional Values (per portion)
Calories: 380 kcal
Recipe by Sue McMahon