This chutney is so easy to make – all the ingredients are chucked into one pan and simmered slowly, to produce a rich, tasty preserve that will go wonderfully with cheese and biscuits, or cold meat
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 30 mins
Total time: 1 hr 45 mins
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 1kg (2¼lb) ripe tomatoes of any variety or size
- 3 red or white onions, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 200ml (7fl oz) red wine vinegar
- 175g (6oz) soft light muscovado sugar
- 1 level teaspoon ground ginger
- Sterilised jars and waxed discs
- Put all the ingredients in a large, heavy-based pan. Bring to the boil slowly, stirring occasionally to help the sugar dissolve, then simmer for 1½ hours, or longer, stirring occasionally until it becomes thick and jam-like.
- Spoon into sterilised jars, cover and seal. Store for at least 1 month before eating. Eat within 3-4 months.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.