Try these pretty, nutty cupcakes using Woman’s Weekly’s basic cupcake recipe, topped with a delicious mixture of flaked almonds, candied fruit and coated with sweet sticky honey
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
For the cupcakes:
- 12 cupcakes using Woman’s Weekly’s basic cupcake mixture (omitting the vanilla extract and reducing the amount of sugar to 100g (3½oz) and adding 2 tbsp honey)
For the florentine topping:
- 30g (1oz) butter
- 100g (3½oz) caster sugar
- 4 level tbsp honey
- 100g packet flaked almonds
- 100g (3½oz) glacé cherries, quartered
- 15g (½oz) angelica, chopped
- Make the cakes and, while they are baking, prepare the topping by melting the butter, sugar and honey together in a small pan, over a gentle heat. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- As soon as the cakes are baked, take them out of the oven and divide the topping between them. Return cakes to the oven and cook for a further 5-10 mins, or until the topping is a light-golden colour.
- Remove them from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
Nutritional information per portion