There’s a wonderful mixture of sweet and savoury flavours in this twist on the classic French toast, made with fresh juicy apricots.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 1 large egg
- 1tbsp caster sugar
- ½-1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tbsp crème fraîche
- 3 slices of ready-made fruited tea bread or your favourite tea bread, halved into triangles
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3-4 apricots, halved and stoned
- 2-3 tbsp brandy
- Sprigs of fresh lemon thyme
- Whisk the egg with the sugar, ground cinnamon and crème fraîche until frothy.
- While about 15g (½oz) of the butter heats up in a large frying pan, dip the slices of tea bread into the egg mixture, coating them well. When the butter is foaming, add the slices of bread and fry for about a minute each side, until lightly browned and the egg is set. Keep the slices warm, on 2 plates in the oven, while you cook the fruit.
- Wipe the pan with kitchen paper. Heat the rest of the butter in the pan with the sprigs of thyme and add the apricot halves, cut-side down. Cook for a couple of minutes over a high heat, then flip them over and cook for another minute. Add the brandy.
- Arrange the apricots on the French toast and spoon the buttery juices over, with the lemon thyme sprigs. Serve straight away, with extra crème fraîche, if you like.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.