Make breakfast time in your house extra special by whipping up some fresh homemade soda bread. All you need is some butter and marmalade to finish off this delicious loaf
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 300g (10oz) plain flour
- 150g (5oz) plain wholemeal flour
- 1 level tsp salt
- 1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 284ml tub buttermilk or low-fat natural yogurt
- 100ml (3½fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
You will also need:
- Non-stick baking sheet or buttered baking sheet
- Set the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7. Sift the flours, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Add the bran left in the sieve.
- Add the buttermilk, or yogurt, and milk to the dry ingredients. Mix them in using a spoon and then your hand, to form a soft dough. Knead lightly and shape into a round, about 20cm (8in).
- Place the round on the baking sheet. Score the top into 8 wedges and dust with a little flour, if you like. Bake for 25 mins until brown and crusty.
- Cool the bread on a rack for 10 mins. Cut into wedges and serve warm with butter and marmalade.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.