Cinnamon, flaked almonds and ginger marmalade all combine to make these delicious ginger slice. Simply irresistible.
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- 60g (2oz) self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp cinnamon
- 175g (6oz) butter
- 90g (3oz) light soft brown sugar
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 454g jar ginger marmalade
- Caster sugar, for sprinkling
- 1-2tbsp flaked almonds
- 26 x 16.5cm (10¼ x 6½in) Swiss-roll tin, buttered and base lined with baking parchment
- Set the oven to gas mark 4 or 180°C.
- Tip the plain and self-raising flours into a bowl and add the cinnamon, then mix them together. Cut the butter into pieces and add to the bowl. Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the brown sugar. Bind the ingredients together, adding a little egg, if necessary, to form a pastry dough.
- Roll the pastry out to a large rectangle, approximately double the size of the Swiss-roll tin, and then cut the pastry in half. Use one half to line the tin. Spread over all of the ginger marmalade. Place the remaining pastry on top. Press the edges to seal them. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with some caster sugar. Scatter over flaked almonds.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 40-45 mins, or until the
- pastry is a golden colour. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for about 15 mins, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cold, cut into 15 squares and tuck in!
How to store: It can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. Or you can pack into an airtight container, and freeze for up to 1 month.Note: Calorie and fat values are for the maximum number of servings stated.Compiled by Sue McMahon, assisted by Iris Harvey. Photos: www.frankthephotographer.com. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.