Soft textured gingerbread topped with stem ginger. A delightful treat for afternoon tea or a snack any time of the day.
Makes: 15 cubes
Prep time: 35 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 175g (6oz) butter, softened
- 175g (6oz) dark muscovado sugar
- 250g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 100g (3½ oz) golden syrup
- 1 level tbsp ground ginger
- 4 medium eggs
- Stem or crystallised ginger, to decorate
For the icing:
- 350g (12oz) fondant icing sugar
- 18 x 28cm (7 x 11in) traybake tin, lined with baking parchment
- Set the oven to 190°C (gas mark 5).
- Tip the butter into a bowl and add the sugar, flour, syrup, ginger and eggs, and beat the mixture until smooth. Spoon the mixture into the lined tin.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 30-40 mins, or until just firm to the touch in the centre.
- Remove tin from the oven and leave to cool for 10 mins. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into cubes.
- To make the icing: Mix the fondant icing sugar with enough water to give a soft consistency and spread it over the tops of the cubes. Decorate with ginger. Leave the icing to set before serving.