A really easy casserole dish, the flavours of redcurrant jelly, thyme, garlic and red wine make it a true winter warmer.
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 2 level tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 1 small oven-ready chicken, about 1.25kg (2¾lb)
- 350g (12oz) shallots, peeled
- 350g (12oz) small carrots e.g. Chantenay, scrubbed and trimmed
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 300ml (½ pint) red wine
- Set the oven to gas mark 4 or 180°C.
- Warm redcurrant jelly until it’s just runny, then brush it over the skin on top of the chicken. Put the chicken in a casserole dish. Place the shallots, carrots, garlic and thyme around the chicken and pour in the red wine. Cover the casserole dish.
- Cook in the centre of oven for about 1¾ hrs; remove lid and cook for a further 15-30 mins, or until chicken skin is light golden.
- Remove the chicken from the casserole dish and spoon out the shallots and carrots. If the casserole is flameproof, place on the hob and boil the juices until they have thickened to a rich gravy; if it’s not flameproof, transfer the mixture to a pan to boil and to reduce. Serve sauce spooned over the chicken.
Feature: Sue McMahon. Photos: Noel Murphy. Props stylist: Sue Radcliffe
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.