This sweet, tangy and smooth marmalade is delicious on toast
Makes: 3 litres (5 pints)
Prep time: 50 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 1 hr 20 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 3 large pink grapefruit (about 1.5kg/3lb) washed well
- 2 large lemons, washed well
- 60g (2oz) piece fresh root ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2kg (4lb) preserving, or granulated, sugar
- 4 pieces of stem ginger in syrup, cut into short thin strips
- 8-10 jam-jars, sterilised
- Cut each grapefruit into six wedges and the lemons into quarters. Chop finely with a knife, or slice in a food processor. Keep the pips. Measure the fruit and juice in a large measuring jug. It should be about 2 litres (3½ pints).
- Put the fruit and juice in a preserving pan with 2 litres (3½ pints) water. Put the root ginger slices, and pips, in a piece of muslin or cloth and tie with string. Let it hang in the pan with the fruit. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for about 2 hours until the fruit is very soft and tender and the contents have reduced to about 2.5 litres (4 pints).
- Discard the pips and ginger. Add the sugar to the pan and heat gently, stirring until it dissolves. Put a saucer into the freezer ready for testing the set.
- Bring the fruit to the boil and boil rapidly for about 15-20 minutes, or until setting point is reached. Use a sugar thermometer if you have one, or spoon a little marmalade on to the cold saucer. Put in the freezer for a minute, then push it along the saucer with your finger. If it wrinkles and doesn’t run back, the marmalade is set.
- Take off the heat. Stir in the strips of ginger. Leave the marmalade to stand for 30 minutes, so the fruit does not rise to the surface in the jars. Skim off any scum.
- Pot up in the sterilised jam-jars. Cover and store.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.