This quick and simple supper of Greek-style lamb on a warm bean salad makes a nutritious family meal – and it’s only 323 calories per serving
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 8 lamb rack cutlets
- Knob of butter
- 1 large leek, trimmed and finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 150ml (¼ pint) good chicken stock
- 100g (3½oz) fresh green beans, trimmed and chopped into short lengths
- 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Good handful of basil leaves
For the marinade:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make the marinade: Whisk together 2 tbsp of the oil, the lemon zest and juice, and oregano and season well. Put in a shallow, non-metallic dish with the lamb cutlets, coat them in marinade and leave for as long as you can – from 10 mins to overnight.
- Warm the rest of the oil with the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Sauté the leek and garlic for about 10 mins, until soft but not brown. Add the stock and green beans, and cook for 5 mins, then add the canned beans and warm through for a few mins.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan or griddle over a medium-high heat. Shake the excess marinade off the lamb cutlets and fry them for 3-4 mins on each side, depending on thickness.
- Put the cutlets on 4 warmed plates. Add torn basil leaves to the bean mixture and spoon it on to the plates. Sprinkle with small basil leaves.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.