Enjoy this healthy, zesty chicken escalopes with char-grilled pepper and courgette
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 2 small chicken breasts, skinned
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow or red romano pepper, halved lengthways and deseeded
- 1 fat courgette, sliced thinly lengthways into 6 slices
- 1 pack 200g (7oz) frozen microwaveable brown rice
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 4 ripe cherry tomatoes, chopped
- Put a griddle pan to heat up or set the grill to high. Put the chicken breasts between 2 pieces of cling film. Bash with a rolling pin until flattened evenly. Take off top piece of cling film, sprinkle both sides of meat with grated zest from half the lemon, the oregano, 1 tablespoon of the oil and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Leave to marinate for 5 minutes or longer, while you cook the vegetables.
- Rub some oil on the pepper halves and press them, skin-side down, on the hot griddle until beginning to char and soften. Rub the courgette
- strips with oil and griddle them. Set aside in a warm oven.
- Griddle the chicken escalopes for 2-3 minutes on one side, pressing them down on the griddle, then cook them for a minute on the other side.
- Meanwhile, tip the rice into a small bowl, add the spring onions and microwave on full power for 2 minutes. Stir in the cherry tomatoes. Serve the rice with the griddled chicken and vegetables and a lemon wedge.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.