These tasty sausage rolls with a pork sausage and cranberry filling are perfect for party buffets and picnics or in kids’ lunchboxes as a lunchtime treat.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 1 sheet (from a 425g pack of 2) ready-rolled puff pastry
- 400g (14oz) good-quality pork sausages
- 30g (1oz) dried cranberries, chopped
- Grated zest of 1 small orange
- 2tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- About 2tsp fennel seeds, cumin seeds or sesame seeds, or a mixture of seeds
- Set the oven to gas mark 6 or 200°C.
- Unroll the pastry on to a lightly floured surface and roll it out to a rectangle about 35 x 25cm (14 x 10in).
- Cut it in half to give 2 long pieces.
- Slit the skin of the sausages, peel it off and put the meat in a bowl with the cranberries, orange zest, thyme leaves and a little seasoning.
- Mix well, then make 2 long sausages from the mixture and place each one down the middle of the 2 strips of pastry.
- Brush one of the long edges with egg.
- Bring the other pastry edge over the filling and make into a cylinder.
- Press edges together well, then “knock up” edges, and decorate with a fork.
- Cut into 6 rolls.
- Do the same with the other piece of pastry and filling.
- Put the rolls on to a large baking sheet, score the tops, brush with egg and sprinkle with seeds
- Bake for 20-25 mins, until golden brown.
- Serve warm or cool before packing up for your picnic.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.