These crunchy, buttery biscuits with a cool iced-filling are easy to make and look so impressive.
Makes: 30 – 35
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 3 level tbsp honey
- 250g (8oz) plain flour
- ½ level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 level tsp mixed spice
- 60g (2oz) caster sugar
- 1 medium egg, beaten
For the filling:
- 250g (8oz) royal icing mix
- Grated rind of 1 lemon and 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons glycerine
- Set the oven to 180°C or gas mark 4.
- Melt the butter and honey in a pan. Sift together flour, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice, and add to warmed mixture. Stir in the sugar and egg and mix well.
- Knead mixture lightly until it’s no longer sticky. Roll out thinly on a floured surface and cut out flower shapes, using the cutter, and pattern the surface with the prongs of a fork.
- Place on to buttered baking sheets and bake just above the centre of the oven for 12-15 mins. Cool slightly before transferring them to wire racks. (The biscuits firm up as they cool.)
- To make the filling: Beat together the royal icing mix, lemon rind and juice, and glycerine, for about 5-6 mins.
- Spoon one teaspoon of filling on to a biscuit and spread out to the edges. Place another biscuit on top. Repeat for the remaining biscuits. Leave to set.
Storage notes: Not suitable for freezing, but will keep well for up to 4-5 days in an airtight container.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.