This traditional, easy-to-follow recipe to create a family-loved Christmas classic
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 2kg (4lb) gammon joint
- 2 litre bottle medium-sweet cider
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
For the glaze:
- 2-3 tablespoons thick honey
- wholegrain mustard
- Weigh ham to calculate boiling time. It will take 25 minutes per 500g (1lb), plus 20 minutes.
- Place ham in a large pan and pour cider over. Add water if necessary to cover ham.
- Add onion and bay leaves.
- Place pan on hob and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and cover pan.
- Simmer for the cooking time, then remove the pan from the heat. Set the oven to Gas Mark 5 or 190°C.
- Set aside ham. Pour about 150ml (¼ pint) of the cooking juices into a roasting tin and discard the rest.
- Cut away any string or netting from ham, and cut away any skin to leave a thin layer of fat.
- Cut through fat to make a diamond pattern.
- Mix together the honey and mustard and spread over ham.
- Place ham on a rack over tin containing cooking juices.
- Cook in centre of oven for 25-35 minutes, or until topping is light golden .
- Remove from oven and transfer to a warmed serving plate, cover with foil and leave in a warm place for about 10 minutes before carving.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.