A great dessert for parties or everyday. This vanilla-flavoured jelly, adapted from a recipe from 1912, has a honeycomb colour, topped with whipped cream, raspberries and redcurrants – a colourful and delicious pud
Prep time: 20 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
- 450ml (¾ pint) milk
- 8 gelatine leaves
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 60g (2oz) caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150ml (¼ pint) whipped cream
- About 125g (4oz) mixture of raspberries and redcurrants, to serve
- 900ml (1½ pint) jelly mould
- Pour the milk into a large bowl over simmering water, add the gelatine leaves and leave to dissolve.
- Whisk in the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract. Take off heat. Leave to cool and thicken, for about 20 mins.
- Whisk the egg whites until firm, then fold them into the custard. Pour into the mould and leave to set until firm.
- Turn jelly out on to a flat plate (dip mould in hot water first). Serve with whipped cream, redcurrants and raspberries.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.