Woman’s Weekly’s comforting Italian casserole is a twist on regular Spaghetti Bolognese. Rich and warming, it’s sure to please even the hungriest of families
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 2 hrs 30 mins
Total time: 2 hrs 30 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 750g (1½lb) stewing steak/braising steak in one piece
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 level tbsp flour
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 400g can whole or chopped tomatoes
- 300ml (½ pint) hot beef stock or water
- 125g (4oz) spaghetti
- Set the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3. Cut the meat into large cubes and coat them in the seasoned flour. Put in a casserole dish. Add onions and pour in the juice from can of tomatoes, along with stock or water. Cover, cook for 2 hours or until tender.
- After 2 hours of the meat cooking, add spaghetti to a large pan of boiling salted water. Cook for 8-10 mins until just tender. Drain and add to the casserole, along with the canned tomatoes. Put back in the oven for ½ hour, season to taste and serve straight from the casserole dish.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.