With less than 1g of fat per serving, these delicious jerk turkey skewers are the perfect meal if you’re watching what you eat
Prep time: 1 hr 25 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total time: 1 hr 35 mins
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
- 1 tbsp jerk seasoning
- 2 tbsp dark soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 350g turkey escalopes or steaks
- 100-120g carton ready prepared pineapple
- Jacket potatoes, low-fat Greek yogurt and salad, to serve
- Mix together jerk seasoning, sugar, vinegar and soy sauce in a shallow dish. Place the turkey in the mixture and turn it to coat well. Cover the dish and chill it in the fridge to let it marinate for at least 1 hr or overnight.
- Cut the turkey into narrow strips and thread it on to skewers, zigzagging it with some of the pineapple cubes.
- Cook the skewers under a hot grill for about 8-10 mins, basting them with any leftover marinade, and turning them occasionally — make sure that they are thoroughly cooked after the marinade has been brushed on them, as it will contain raw meat juices.
- Serve each turkey skewer with a jacket potato, that’s been split and a little Greek yogurt spooned into it, and some salad.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.