These minced lamb meatballs are served Greek-style on skewers with couscous, chickpeas and peppers and come topped with a tasty mint yoghurt dip
Prep time: 35 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
- 500g (1lb) lean minced lamb
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tbs chopped fresh mint
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250g (8oz) couscous
- 1 tsp bouillon stock powder
- 290g jar flame roasted peppers, drained and chopped
- 410g can chickpeas, drained
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbs chopped fresh parsley
- Few sprigs of marjoram, optional
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 4 tbs tzatziki (yogurt with mint or cucumber)
- Few sprigs of fresh mint
- 8 bamboo skewers
- Soak the skewers in a shallow dish of water. Put the minced lamb into a bowl with the onion, garlic, mint and salt and pepper. Mix everything together well. Shape into 24 walnut-sized balls. Thread 3 lamb koftas on to each skewer. Cover and chill.
- Put the couscous into a bowl, add the bouillon stock powder and 200ml (7fl oz) boiling water. Stir and leave for a few minutes for the couscous to absorb the liquid. Add the peppers and chickpeas.
- Add the lemon juice, parsley, 1 tbsp oil, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Preheat the grill to high. Put the koftas on to the grill pan with the tomatoes and drizzle with 1 tbs oil. Grill for 10 mins, remove the tomatoes and add the couscous. Turn the koftas and grill for 5 more mins.
- Serve the koftas on top of the couscous, with a dollop of tzatziki, and garnish with a sprig of mint.
To freeze, open freeze the kebabs on sticks. Once frozen, cover with film and put into a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Grill from frozen for 25 mins.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.