These homemade lamb burgers are tastier than shop-bought with a hint of cumin to spice things up. Serve with a summer relish and fresh salad.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Total time: 40 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
For the burgers:
- 250g (8oz) lean minced lamb
- 2 shallots, peeled and very finely chopped
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A little oil
- 2 soft buns
- 2tbsp plain yogurt
- 1tsp tahini paste, optional
- A few baby spinach leaves or watercress
For the relish:
- 1 large or 2 small cooked beetroot
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1tsp each olive oil and lemon juice
- A few fresh dill fronds (or chopped fresh herbs)
- Heat a griddle pan.
- To make the burgers: Mix the minced lamb with the half the shallot, the cumin seeds and seasoning. Knead well to combine, then shape into burgers a little larger than the buns, and rub oil over them.
- Cook on the hot griddle for 3-4 mins on each side.
- Meanwhile, make the relish. Grate beetroot coarsely and mix with the rest of the shallot, the cumin seeds, oil, lemon juice and dill, or other herb of choice.
- Toast the buns for a few seconds on the griddle.
- To serve, mix the yogurt and tahini, if using, on the base of each bun. Place some leaves, then a burger and some relish, on top. Serve the rest of the relish.
Nutritional information per portion
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.