Light, fluffy meringue tops sweet, zesty lemon and lime curd in these gorgeous little individual pies. Have them for dessert, or as an afternoon treat with a cuppa
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs:Cheap as chips
- 375g (13oz) sweet shortcrust pastry (we used Jus-Rol)
- 125g (4oz) golden caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of 3 limes
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 4tbsp lime juice
- 4tbsp lemon juice
- Green liquid food colouring, optional
- 142ml pot double cream
- 4tbsp thickening granules
- 3 yolks from medium eggs
For the meringue:
- 3 whites from medium eggs
- 175g (6oz) golden caster sugar
- 6 x 10cm (4in) fluted tartlet tins, base lined with baking parchment
- Greaseproof paper and baking beans
- Set the oven to 190°C/Gas Mark 5. Put a baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Roll out the pastry fairly thinly, cut into 6 and use to line the tartlet tins. Press the pastry into the fluted sides of the tins and trim the top edges. Prick the base a couple of times and chill them for 15 mins.
- Put the sugar, lime and lemon zest and juice and a drop of green colouring, if using, into a large jug. Stir in the cream and thickening granules. Microwave on Medium for 3 mins, until thickened and smooth. Stir in the egg yolks.
- Line the pastry cases with greaseproof paper and baking beans and bake blind on the hot baking sheet for 8 mins. Remove paper and beans and cook for 2 more mins.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Pour the lemon and-lime mixture into the pastry cases.
- Meanwhile, make meringue by whisking the egg whites to stiff-peak stage. Gradually whisk in the sugar, 1tbsp at a time, until it’s all used and the meringue is smooth and glossy.
- Pipe or spoon the meringue on top of tarts and bake for 15 mins, until meringue is just firm.